adding baby 2- a birth story

Friday, September 5, 2014
I figured I would type this up so I didnt forget anything- need to do a blog dump if I feel up to it this week.

SO - Thursday night was kinda rough for me. The week was dragging on, work was killing me and I had crammed a bunch of stuff in the last few days before we knew we needed to button down and get ready for the baby. We scheduled a infant CPR class at the partnering hospital since it was closer to home for Thursday night. We got a sitter for C and barely made it to class on time. We started class which was a refresher for us and I started feeling a little rough. I was exhausted and was regretting scheduling the class at all. I was thinking of all the things I had to do at home and was kinda mad at Mark for pushing it. I sat in class about half engaged because I started having contractions. I knew they were about 10-15 minutes apart but nothing too organized. I finished class and jumped in the car. We didnt eat so we grabbed a few salads from outback on the way home and attempted to eat prior to going to bed. When we got home Charlotte was having a rough night. She bit her last binxy (which she only gets at bedtime) and was REALLY pissed. I knew we were out of cat food as well so I begged Mark to run to the store to pick up both. As we sat and waited for Mark to get home I realized that the contractions didnt stop. I was a little worried but decided that if I went to bed it would likely stop the contractions. Mark was eating dinner so I took Charlotte upstairs to bed and thankfully put a towel down in bed. About 11pm I laid down and within 3 minutes I felt a pop and a large gush. Luckily my bed is two steps from our bathroom so I was able to not make a huge mess. My water broke and I was fuming. I was more upset that I had plans that were going to be disrupted than worried about labor. We called the nanny to have her come over and Mark and I started the sprint to get the stuff together.
IT took about 40 minutes for the nanny to get to the house by the time she woke up, packed a few things and drove over. I had the car running, my stuff packed and we were on our way to the hospital by midnight. We go to the hospital and of course since my water decided to break and continue to flow for the next 3 hours with contractions they wouldnt let me walk to labor and delivery.  I spent the next hour in triage where they couldnt get the port in my arm, my veins wouldnt give them blood and my registration was spelled wrong in the computer leading to more paperwork. I finally got to my room about 1:30am and we were able to get our stuff settled. Poor Mark was sleeping in a chair since they were out of cots and the sleeper sofas were not in the labor rooms but the mom and baby unit.
The next few hours were managing contractions, hanging with our nurse (who by the way was amazing), and me finally realizing that my labor was slowing. Petocin was ordered and labor finally picked back up enough that by 5-6 am I finally had my epidural. Not sure why I waited so long but I was glad I got it while I did. Labor continued to progress but was very manageable and dare I say easy. Mark went down for breakfast we enjoyed the quiet time to figure out some name options and got ready for the big event. My mom had to work the night before so she wasnt able to come for delivery and my sister who was also planning on coming for the event had the flu. This was a little scary to me because as much as I love Mark I wanted someone else to be there in case something went wrong. Technically we were only 37wks 2 days by the doctors notes when I delivered. I think we could have been about a week off, but nonetheless, we were a bit early. I asked the nurse if there were people to help me with delivery (of course there are Kelly- complete irrational thoughts) and we got ready to rest.
About 11 am they did a final check and realized I was almost 10cm. They called the doctor to drive in (she is about 15 minutes away at the office) and they started to set up the room in preparation. Luckily our doctor who delivered Charlotte was going to deliver us again. Dr. Lewis is very patient and amazing. I love all the doctors in the practice but it was nice to have a familiar face and someone who I trusted to get me through.
We started pushing about 11:30am. We did a couple test pushes and they made me stop because I was actually getting it right. The baby was progressing a lot faster than they planned. We did the final prep and waited a few contractions then finally started pushing. 4 rounds of contractions and the baby was out. OF course it took Mark a few more minutes to tell me that it was another girl. I only remember asking if she was okay because I knew she was a bit early. As soon as they told me she was a 7lb 14.5oz baby and 20 inches long I was happy. Relief was over us. The doctor worked on me and quickly made a comment about us dodging a bullet. I was a little confused until she held up the umbilical cord. A very tight double knot was in the cord and was the first the doctor had ever delivered. She stated she didnt want to scare us, but that most of the time when knots are present in the double state that the results are not great. She was talking to Mark and the nurses and mentioned that late term deaths occur from these types of knots. I always say things happen at times for a reason and I believe it more now. She was meant to be born early. She had an eventful beginning and now an eventful end. I am very glad she came when she did.
I cant remember the next few hours but I was happy my dad came to see me. It was a huge relief to have someone tell me everything was okay besides Mark. It was a little surreal, but in the end worked out just fine. Having time to relax and rest was nice. We had a few visitors at the hospital but Mark needed to get Charlotte home and needed to get ready for the grind of the weekend.  Of course we delivered the day that Charlotte was scheduled for the daddy daughter dance and Mark was kind enough to suffer through the fatigue to take her.

Georgia Elizabeth was born just at the right time for her. We are in the middle of adjusting to 2 babies, but I will say that I feel blessed to have two amazing little girls. We might be poor in our future to put them in princess dresses, ballet classes, sports, fancy dresses and one day weddings but I wouldnt change it for the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment